The GLBT Historical Society is a 501(c)3 nonprofit educational organization that collects, preserves and interprets the history of LGBTQ people and the communities that support them through our archives, museum and other programs. Founded in 1985, we are recognized internationally as a leader in the field of LGBTQ public history. Our growing organization is in search of a Development Manager (DM) to help supercharge our fundraising efforts.
The DM reports to the Executive Director (ED) and collaborates with all team members. The DM is responsible for working with the ED to design and implement a fundraising strategy to grow the organization’s budget; develop and maintain relationships with funders, including foundations, corporations and individual major donors; and oversee production and delivery of grant documents and other development materials. The DM also maintains and expands the society’s individual, corporate and online donor databases; identifies and develops new revenue opportunities; and throws really fun parties.
The DM works with the ED to design and implement a development strategy to help the organization sustain its current activities and continue to grow in size and effectiveness. The core job responsibilities include the following:
● Designing and executing a multichannel development strategy that meets funding goals as set by the management team.
● Maintaining and expanding foundation relationships and revenues, including writing grant proposals as well as reports for existing funders.
● Overseeing the development and implementation of major donor, corporate, and individual giving and membership programs.
● Creating and maintaining tools and systems that support the development function.
● Identifying new revenue opportunities to match existing as well as new programs.
● Ensuring a range of administrative tasks that support the development function are completed, such as processing checks, scheduling meetings, taking and distributing notes from development calls and meetings, generating acknowledgment letters, writing thank-you notes and other tasks.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE MUST HAVE:
● 5-plus years of nonprofit fundraising experience or a demonstrated track record that matches this experience.
● Experience developing and executing a multichannel fundraising plan.
● Experience using Salesforce to manage donor relationships.
● Track record of success securing funding from foundations and corporations, including identifying new targets, building and maintaining relationships, and writing proposals and reports.
● Excellent writing skills.
● Strong relationship-building capabilities.
● Initiative to work with ED to set and execute priorities.
● Excellent time-management skills with the ability to plan, organize and prioritize workload and handle several tasks simultaneously.
● Ability to quickly learn how to best navigate the museum, archives and public-history funding landscape.
● Ability to manage work effectively across multiple teams including senior management.
BONUS POINTS FOR:
● Passion for building strong new development capacity at our growing organization.
● Experience managing a major gifts program.
● Experience managing fundraising events and online and individual giving programs.
● Experience managing a capital campaign, an endowment campaign or both.
● Experience managing a planned giving program.
● Experience growing an organization with a budget of less than $1 million to one with a multimillion dollar budget.
The GLBT Historical Society’s organizational culture values a passion for LGBTQ history and culture, humor, kindness and respect in interpersonal relationships, working hard and effectively, and a commitment to winning.
This position will be based at the society’s offices in the mid-Market neighborhood of San Francisco. Salary is commensurate with experience. Medical, dental, optical and vacation benefits are included. The society is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to expand the diversity of its staff. Start date: ASAP.
Please submit a resume, a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the job along with several writing samples to *protected*. Subject line: ‘Development Manager Application’. No calls please.